Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wine and a Llama

So on Thursday we took the best field trip ever...Viña Concha Y Toro to go wine-tasting! The vineyard was about an hour outside Santiago, and it was gorgeousss. We watched a video about the vineyard, tasted two of the wines (I didn't think I liked white wine, but after this field trip I have changed my mind. Delicious.), ate some grapes right off the vine, and went down into the wine cellar, which was super dark and spooky. The cellar was called the Casillero del Diablo, and in the back there was a smaller room that was lit up with red light that was supposed to be the devil's wine hallway or something...it had to do with some legend. Fun facts! Concha y Toro was the first winery in the world to have its shares traded in the NY Stock Exchange, and it is the official wine partner of Manchester United. Also, we had a tour guide the whole time who all the girls thought was cute...he got two girls' numbers, and then we found out he is married with children...........





 It rained while we were there, and right after it rains is the best time to see the mountains:


Yesterday, we went to Cerro San Cristobal to check out the weekend féria, where they sell a bunch of random stuff, and there was a llama there!!! I had to sneak a picture of him because you were supposed to pay and I had no cash...it's blurry but incredible. My first llama sighting in South America. We had our friend Pedro pick us up at the bottom of the hill and drive us up to a picnic area where he and his friends were having an asada (BBQ). We met a bunch of Chileans and got an amaaazing view of the city.




And I found an apartment!!! I'll be living with my friend Marcella, a Chilean student and his mom in the middle of Providencia, which is considered the safest part of the city. Everything we need is super close, including a Starbucks downstairs! The Starbucks here are super nice, and usually have a whole floor for couches and tables. Definitely gonna be my new study spot. My room is connected to Marcella's by a big balcony that only we have access to. I'm sad to leave my host family, but sooo excited to move in to my new place. The mom that lives there is really nice and said to just pretend she's not there, which is exactly what I need. We move in the 1st week of March!

1 comment:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED FOR OUR NEW APARTMENT!!!!!! P.S. What time were you all on top of Cerro San Cristobal? I want to go up there or Cerro Santa Lucia around the same time and take pictures of the city!

    ReplyDelete