Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ayyy Ay Ay

Monday was my first day of Spanish class! For some strange reason, I was placed in the intermediate class. I thought for sureee I would be in the lower one. The first thing we had to do was get up in front of the class and talk about ourselves. YIKES. It went fine, but I probably sounded like a 3-year-old compared to the people who went before me. I swear they're just pretending to be American. Sounded pretty fluent to me! Oh well...I like my teacher and I feel like I'm slowly getting more comfortable speaking Spanish. Very very slowly.

Yesterday morning, we went as a group to register our visas with the international police and apply for our Chilean ID cards. SUCH. A. NIGHTMARE. After meeting at the metro station at 8am (which was really far from my house), waiting in lines all morning and filling out paperwork and making copies (all at different places), I finally get to the desk to submit my info for my ID. Then the lady tells me she can't accept my application because the stamp in my passport is too light and she can't read my arrival date. Luckily, I wasn't the only one in my group with this problem. Another girl, Kellee, and I had to walk all the way back to the international police station to request another stamp, but the guy who gave us directions sent us to the wrong building. We finally found it and had to go to 3 different counters, then got lost on the way back and finallyyy made it back to submit our forms. To top everything off, not one person we asked could tell us what bus to take to school, so we had to take a taxi and were an hour and a half late for class. Then had class until 6, and a "mandatory" dinner with our Chilean student guides (and by dinner, that meant a 2-hour meal and a bar after). Longest day everrrrr. Anyway, it's over and I get my Chilean ID in 10 days!

I bought a plane ticket to Patagonia last night! Can't wait to see some real live happy feet! Oh, and giant glaciers.

No comments:

Post a Comment