Monday, January 31, 2011

EAP Retreat: Water Slides and Piscola

This past weekend was amazing, and made me so excited for the next 6 months!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the people in my program.


Friday afternoon, we took a bus to Rancho El Añil in Cajon del Maipo, about an hour outside Santiago. We split up into cabins and headed straight for the pool (with a water slide, YEAH!). That evening, we listened to a talk by our director, Isaac, then had dinner and a birthday party for his 7-year-old son, who ran around and kissed every single girl on the cheek. Starting young! 


Saturday was our longest day of orientation, and we had several talks throughout the day, with plenty of pool time in between. After orientation, we walked down the street to try to find a store to get snacks, but all we found was a group of horses (with babies!), sheep, chickens and some rabbits (one had a mullet that looked way too human-like...not important but I just wanted to share) next to what I think was a restaurant but looked more like a fort made out of scraps of wood. I wish I had pictures of our walk down (it was gorgeous) and the rabbit, but I didn't bring my camera...I was told it would be stolen. Back at the ranch, we bought some pisco (a type of Chilean brandy that they drink all the time) and Chilean beer, and everyone just hung out in our room and outside all night. It was so fun and I loved meeting and spending time with everyone! 


We had all of Sunday free, and most of us decided to go hiking near the ranch after breakfast. The trail up was super steep, but definitely worth the view. 


Last night, back at home, I hung out with my host sister Pamela and a few of her friends. They were all sooo nice, but this whole language barrier thing is still pretty frustrating. I start Spanish class today, so hopefully it'll get easier soon!


Campus Oriente (where my Spanish classes are):

Rancho El Añil:







No comments:

Post a Comment