Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Exploring

So yesterday I decided to explore the city, which may have not been the smartest thing to do by myself but I made it out alive! It was great for the most part but I walked a few blocks into the wrong neighborhood and tried not to freak out while homeless people eyed my purse and every guy that drove by just HAD to whistle. So I turned around and walked the other way toward the main street, La Alameda. There's a walkway/park that goes all the way down the middle, and just a ton of businesses and fast food places. Santiago actually doesn't feel as big as I thought it would. I saw so much on the first day, and walked to all of it. Just along La Alameda are La Moneda (basically the Chilean White House) and all the government buildings, the University of Chile and the Pontifical Catholic University (my school!!!), a few parks, concert halls, and a bunch of other stuff. I went inside my school and it's BEAUTIFUL. I don't think most of my classes will be at that campus but that's where my immersion program will be. Last night I watched That 70s Show with the other people at my hostel and tried to put up pictures but almost started a fire when I plugged in my computer...wrong adapter.

Today I took the Metro for the first time to go buy a new adapter that won't burn any buildings down. Then I saw more of the city with one of the guys in my room at the hostel, and climbed the tower at Cerro Santa Lucia where you can see the entire city and the Andes. Then we went to the Plaza de Armas, one of the main squares in the city, and ate at KFC because apparently they don't have it in Brazil (where he's from) and he loves it haha. Too bad the KFCs here don't serve mashed potatoes, my FAVORITE PART! So disappointing.

My hostel:

My school:

Random pic of the day: CAR CRASH!!!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds exciting but I can only imagine Janie reading your blog about you going in the bad neighborhood, SHE WOULD CALL IN THE MARINES!! Hope your having fun and keep me updated, this is great!

    ReplyDelete