Thursday, January 20, 2011

I WANT TO LIVE HERE! Oh wait...

Last night at my hostel, the guy who was working made everyone melon con vino, which is basically a cantaloupe filled with champagne, ice-cream and something else, I don't remember. Deeeeelicious.

Today I took a free walking tour around the Plaza de Armas with two other guys at my hostel, Aldi and Stefan. On our tour, we met an Australian teacher who ate lunch with us at the Mercardo Central. The food was super cheap and delicious except that the smell of fish was so strong that I felt like I was eating it after awhile. After lunch, I went back to Santa Lucia with Aldi and Stefan, with my camera this time (forgot the first time...so depressing). Then Aldi and I went to the Memory and Human Rights Museum, which was built as a memorial to all of the victims of torture and murder under Pinochet.

For dinner, one of the girls from my hostel and I made a stir-fry at the hostel. Soooooo goooooood. It's her birthday today so we all hung out in our back patio and drank tequila and beer (don't worry Mom, the beer was after) with Lucy, the guinea pig that lives back there. I kept hearing squeaking noises last night and I could not for the life of me figure out what it was until I walked outside today and saw Lucy just chillin' there, squeaking away. Anyway, she's my new BFF.

Just realized today that I'm the youngest person here. This girl from Germany is 23 and celebrated when she found out I was younger than her. I'm now officially "the baby" of the hostel.

Last thought for the day, I LOVE SANTIAGO and every single one of the people I've met so far. I thought I would hate being here by myself but I've met so many amazing people from all over the world who I probably never would've tried to talk to if I had come here with someone I knew. For instance:
the 5 Brazilians (only 2 speak English but they're all great), 4 Australians (2 crazy guys, the teacher from our tour, and my insane dinner partner who I like more every time I talk to her), Aldi, a surfer from Indonesia who is getting his MBA at Harvard (BRENAN!!!!!), Stefan, a German software developer who only wears black socks, Katie and Jake, a couple from Seattle that hiked the Continental Divide and are about to trek through Patagonia, blah blah blah. And I finally met some Chilean students!!! And I love themmm!

And I've met two people (one American and one Canadian) who live here full time and both invited me to dinner sometime soon, which I thought was really nice since I don't really know anyone in the country haha...FRIENDSSSSS!!! hahaha

Plaza de Armas:

Cerro Santa Lucia:

View from the top:

1 comment:

  1. That is all so awesome. I am really jealous! I love reading this every day!

    ReplyDelete